If last year taught us anything, it is the importance of time, freedom and choices.
A poll conducted by Gallup uncovered that an astronomical 85% of people are unhappy in their jobs. Did you know the average American spends 30% or 90,000 hours of their lifetime working? Chances are good that if you dislike your job, you do not leave that unhappiness in the office. That stress carries home to your loved ones. Trust me, I know this all too well.
I had my dream job for many years-until my priorities shifted. I found myself working more than ever, disliking every second of it and craving more. Less time with my loved ones, more time doing what I loved. I made a few changes in 2014 to design the life that I wanted to live and I am grateful for this career path I am on now.
Ok, back to you! Do you fall in the 85% club? If so, read on because your unhappiness could be negatively affecting your health.
Here are the reasons why your dissatisfaction could be hurting your health …
- Stress shows up in many forms and wreaks havoc on your health. Stress compromises your immune system, creates headaches, creates unnecessary gut issues, weight gain, lack of sleep, anxiety, I could go on. But it is safe to say that stress is harmful for your health.
- We become who we surround ourselves with. If you are in a toxic environment it is difficult to stay positive. The most successful people are the ones who live a positive, healthy and happy life. And guess what, that is contagious.
- It holds you back from what you really want to do in life. There is so much more to life than just work. Remember that statistic above? If what you are doing right now, spending 30% of your life doing is not serving you and is not leading you closer to your dreams…now is the time to do something about that. You can make positive changes for you, for your family and for your future.
Here’s how you can turn things around..
- Find Gratitude. It is simple to do and it is simple not to do. But I will tell you when I wake up each morning and write out 5 things I am grateful for (big or small) I am guaranteed to have a better day.
- Self reflection. Spend some time writing out your goals for this year and beyond. Are you on track to achieving them? Do you have the right vehicle to make them happen? Do you have the right people in your corner cheering you on?
- Expand your skill sets. Learn something new. Challenge yourself in a way that will allow you to add value to your life and the lives of others. Oftentimes new adventures can come from learning new things.
- Take on a side hustle that fills your cup. This is exactly what I did eight years ago when I was working long hours and no longer fulfilled in my career. I saw an opportunity to do something that would 1) create an additional source of income for my growing family 2) allow me to focus on something for me 3) help others along the way and 4) provide some fun in my life.
- Find peers who will lift you up and cheer you on. Misery loves company but so does happiness, success and ambition. This was such a game changer for me. Once I surrounded myself with people who wanted to grow and support each other, I knew I was on the right path. Choose the company you keep wisely.
Friends, at the end of the day we must enjoy how we spend 30% of our lifetime. I sure do hope you found these tips useful and would love to know your main takeaway. If you want to learn more about the changes I made in my career in 2014 that forever changed the blueprint of my future, find me on Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn or send me an email. I would love to chat!
Jaime Lynn Curley is a Chester County native and the Founder of The Tailor Made Life. After over a decade in the fashion industry, she discovered her true calling in health and wellness. For the last 7 years she has been a professional network marketer, coaching and mentoring other men and women on how to achieve success with the right balance of health and career. She helps them find time and energy in their day to make time for themselves, work a side hustle and create memorable experiences in both their personal and professional life. She is most comfortable on stage speaking her passion into crowds of thousands or a one on one coffee date with an eager woman ready to make a change in her life. So to schedule a free coffee convo or Zoom consultation, email her at firstname.lastname@example.org. To learn more: https://linktr.ee/jaimelynncurley